Thursday, July 11, 2013

Aloha

I can't believe that this time next year I'll be all done with my masters degree. It'll be a bittersweet moment. I'll be glad that it is done, but at the same time I'll miss being connected with like-minded peers, being intellectually challenged and learning all the latest technology tools. This is one of my final electives before starting the dreaded "project" which will be a year full of exploration, research and application. It will be a true test of everything I learned to date. While the project itself scares me, I am very excited to get it started and actively begin putting all the pieces together.



 I am the lone soldier in this program residing on the rural island of Molokai. I have been working at UH Maui College on Molokai for six years. This is where my passion for education evolved. I had been a consumer of education for a long, long time. At the college I have had the opportunity to produce information and increase access to higher education for a community with all odds against them; lowest per capita income in the state, small rural community, highest dependence on welfare assistance, etc. Despite our challenges, the people of Molokai continually amaze me with their persistence, motivation and passion for "keeping Molokai, Molokai." The community is made up of people who live Hawaiian, embrace ohana and are guided by the aloha spirit. In a community like no other, it prides me to see the power instilled in residents who participate in our higher education programs. Student success is more than just a benchmark to me because I know each student behind the statistics. I know their stories and their struggles and while their journey may not be the same as your average college student, I get my paycheck when I play a role in helping them realize their vision of success.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha Kelley,

    As I read your blog post, I got a glimpse of the journey you’ve been on and the communal responsibility you feel to the island of Molokai as well as the strength you admire in its people. As a transplant to Kauai nearly 14 years ago, I often find myself feeling frustrated by the lack of resources and access to the same educational opportunities for the people who live here as for those on Oahu. Your direct influence on distance education as an ETEC student and prospective graduate puts you in a great place to share the knowledge you have learned about instructional design and distance education.

    As your cohort peer and friend, I absolutely agree with the following statement you wrote about the final project: “I am very excited to get it started and actively begin putting all the pieces together.” It is both overwhelming and exhilarating to think about using all the tools and information learned through in a project that showcases what this program has come to mean to us in our locus of control. I am curious if you know if the same opportunities you are providing on Molokai for your students are available to those on the island of Lanai? Good luck!

    Berna : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Berna,

      Lanai also has an education center that is part of the larger UH Maui College. The center is run by the coordinator Pam who seems very well connected to the community. Our Molokai Educational Opportunity Center counselor travels to Lanai regularly. I'd be happy to share her contact information with you if you know of any family members who would be interested. Her program focuses on helping students through all the hurdles that are required for college entrance. Her program assists with entrance to any college, not just UHMC.

      Delete