Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Have You Unplugged Lately?

Pay attention!  Yes you, put down that smartphone, take deep breaths and allow yourself to truly digest this blog post.  Now that I have your attention, I would like you to think about how development in technology and our increasingly connected lives have affected your attention span and ability to focus? 

Chapter 6 of Rheingold's text offers attention strategies "in a nutshell" for mindful participation in the online world.  One that stood out to me in particular was the notion that "to say that social media affords distraction is not to say that the technology has to be in control of your awareness; you can take control back, through repeated and conscious efforts."  Now ask yourself, I am in control or is technology?

I find myself battling the distractions of the online world daily.  With constant access to information, I daydream questions and have to answer them immediately because I know it will just take a minute.  Add up all those minutes spent distracted and the sum would probably be startling. 

After reading Rheingold's suggestions, I put much more thought into how I was spending my time online.  It is amazing how your behavior can be influenced when you are consistently checking in on yourself.  I found myself following his suggestion of "noticing when my mind has wandered and bringing it back to focus on the highest priority-like training a puppy."  In doing this, I started to realize...I have a problem.  I guess step one in solving the problem is in admitting you have one.

In addition to the suggestions offered by Rheingold, I believe there are more strategies that can help users regain focus and control.  This article published online by Forbes offers some strategies including going low tech once in a while.  While I support the authors belief that this is healthy, I would also like to offer the strategy of going no tech once in a while.  Yes, you read that correctly...I am suggesting regularly disconnecting yourself. 

Imagine you only had an hour a day to be connected.  What would you do in that hour?  The answer to that question should deliver insights into where your attention and focus should be.  While I appreciate all the good things that stem from the development of technology, I think we cannot forget to also give attention to the things in life that are not available online.  When I disconnect myself, I return to the online world refreshed and focused. While this strategy may not work for everyone, I implore you to try it.  You may be surprised by how disconnecting positively influences the time you spend connected. 
Molokai's north shore is only accessible by boat.  The area is very isolated.   There is no electicity, access to wifi or cell phone reception, however, I never feel like I am missing out on anything when I am there. 


3 comments:

  1. Kelley, I love this idea of disconnecting you discuss here. It's something I'm really terrible at doing, but I do have to agree that when I manage to disconnect even for a short while, I come back refreshed and am able to approach the networked life with a little perspective.

    I took a cruise through Alaska a few years ago and they have packages where you can purchase computer/Internet time, but my boyfriend and I opted to remain completely disconnected for the entire 10 days we were on board. It was kind of amazing how memorable that time was for us, even today.

    It is to easy to get caught up in posting status updates, taking pictures and posting them to Facebook or Instagram. But that trip reminded us that it is the actual experience of the time and place that matter, not the digital connections back to some other time and place. Great reflection on such an important issue related to technology and attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley, this was something I was also planning to write on as I can completely relate to what you and Lisa mean about having to take a step back from the online world once in a while to just get refreshed. We easily get distracted with all the connectivity nowadays especially with the emergence of mobile technology, allowing us to be online all the time, every time. Like you said, adding up all those little minutes of checking your email, posting a picture, or looking at the news can accumulate to a lot without us even knowing it.

    Rheingold mentions an example of how some parents spend time with their kids, like going to a museum, but end up standing on the side looking at their phones while the kids are busy. I admit I've been guilty for doing this sometimes and it just opened my eyes that we really do need to be mindful of this, and just go "no tech" once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave my daughter the idea to remind me of this "on the phone thing". And now she has this cheery little jingle, "Mamma -- offfff the phone!" It usually works. Who knows what the consequences of our occasional inattention or semi-attention to our children will be. I

    ReplyDelete