Friday, July 19, 2013

Mindless and Mindful Browsing

According to Smith in an article published in 2011 at http://USAToday.com, “A study from the Pew Internet and Life Project reported that 53% of those 18-29 years old go online for no particular reason except to have fun or to pass the time."  I was not able to do this when I first started using the internet.  I always appreciated structure and doing things for a reason.  Or maybe it was, as the author pointed out, that “for those who remember painfully slow dial-up modems, having a specific game plan in mind when the Web finally appeared was a significant time-saver.”  (That dial up comment made me chuckle and I had to include the video below for all the former dial-up users).  Whatever the reason, I always attacked the internet with purpose.  




Over time, however, I’ve gotten better at mindless browsing and programs have gotten better at making “suggestions” or creating spaces where this can occur.  While I hesitated at first, through this practice I have found some very exciting stuff!  Stuff that I wouldn’t even think to look for.....like a shade tent for use at  the beach for $20 bucks (steal), a recipe for cake mix cookies that was a hit at our last potluck, an article on the summer melt phenomenon that is hitting community colleges nationwide, and finally, just today, mindless browsing got me to realize that I could buy Air Ambulance insurance for my whole family for $20.  These wonderful discoveries all happened as I cruised online with no specific purpose, but just to see what was out there.  Weren’t some of the best discoveries in history made when people charted unknown territory with no specific result in mind?  

Our reading this week cautioned us in a different direction as Rheingold encourages mindful browsing and highlighted the importance of “controlling your focus.”    So now that  I have gotten better at mindless web browsing, I’m being told to practice mindfulness!  In the words of Bart Simpson, “ay caramba.”  I always believe that there are two sides to a story and I can see the importance of maintaining both perspectives.  While I completely enjoy the results I get when I am on task and completely focused, I also enjoy when I find that diamond in the rough through mindless browsing.  I believe both approaches enhance productivity in their own way.  In my opinion, striking the right balance of mindless and mindful browsing and having the flexibility to adjust the balance as necessary is critical to each individual reaching their fullest potential as an online participant. 

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered what was making those weird noises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelley,

    I, too, have started mindless browsing. I'm not sure when this all started, but I think I do it most when I'm done with my assignments for the night. I check my Facebook account before going to bed mostly to get a laugh or two. Some of my friends post hilarious pictures or videos...that's the way I take my mind away from whatever I was doing so I can sleep.

    : ), Annette

    ReplyDelete